Sunday, April 6, 2008

Walkin' the Dyke

My Grandma and I walked to the marina this afternoon to meet the 'canvas guy' so he could work on the command bridge enclosure.

I was my usual cute self, posing for pictures, but it was boring so I started looking at the beach to see who was around. The happy yellow daffodils were glad to see me!

Grandma said to stand up on the concrete block so I could see over the edge

- and here's what I saw. It's a blue heron, fishing at the rivers edge for his lunch.

There were lots of birds flying overhead too and the geese were squawking. I think they wanted to play golf.

Here's what the 'canvas guy' is working on

This is the command bridge and you can see how it's all open at the front. It was like that all the way around. That meant everything got wet when it rained and we had to keep the seats all covered up, or they'd get dirty and moldy. We don't use the area unless it's sunny and hot - and there's only a month or two of that kind of weather - so Grandma had the brilliant idea of enclosing it - to make another 'room'.

The 'canvas guy', who's real name is Mikey, sewed and zippered a special fabric which attaches to the top 'bimini' and will keep out the wind and rain. You can see on the right hand side where part of it is in place. The 'windows' are made of a special heavy plastic which is clear as glass.

Grandma helped the 'canvas guy' get it zippered together today because it was so windy he was afraid he'd lose something overboard. I watched from the bow deck. After it was in place the 'canvas guy' attached snaps to the edges of the canvas and to the boat to hold it securely, but he had to take it off, and take it home to his scissors and sewing machine to do a few little tweaks here and there to make it fit perfectly! Grandma is a perfectionist you know so she wants it to fit as snugly and neatly as possible.

If it's not raining and windy tomorrow we'll meet him there so he can finish it. I like the 'canvas guy' and he likes me - especially my left eye which is partly blue.

He says I act like a teenager though. Is that good? Do I get a treat, huh? Huh, huh? Is this how cute you wanted me to look, Grandma?

5 Bones to Share:

BenSpark said...

That photo of Hugo on the concrete wall is excellent. I like it a lot. When do your boating adventures start for the year? Going anywhere interesting?

Unknown said...

So sweet -- love your story and Hugo is adorable!

Karen said...

Good idea on the canvas. Glad Hugo approves. LOL

Daisy said...

I think your partly blue eye is really neat-o!

Anonymous said...

Hi... I am inviting you to join my blog contest. I am giving away $ 10 each for the two winners. Click here for more information. Hope you will join.